How my teaching looked like




Many years ago, in my school life, some of my teachers were very strict and most of the time they mistreated students. It was like a military camp. Everybody had to follow the rules because if we did not do it, the teachers (most of them) would punish us.



A few of the teachers were loving people. They made us feel special students because of their treatment. I have to say it left a mark on my life. Of course, the bad way as the majority of teachers treated us, also left a mark in it.





Years ago, when I began teaching teenagers, I used to be as a soldier and my classroom was like a military school or a jail. Rules were there just for controlling students' behavior, but not for creating a respectful atmosphere in the classroom.

Those rules had no intention of enjoying a safe environment; they were not considered either as an agreement for coexistence. I was extremely strict, even though I laughed at them. Despite the “severity”, my students loved me because they felt how much I loved them – I approached them almost all the time and tried to help them in daily problems-. The classes were not significant for them since I just taught isolated grammar topics without any function, so my classes were boring and now I understand why. The lack of meaning in the classes was replaced with those rules to avoid disorder and bad behavior, but they did not help in the teaching and learning process, although I wanted to do it.




I never did feedback to my students, I just transmitted information and concepts, but I did not pay attention if they consolidate it. I did not focus on learning styles or differentiation. Everybody had to do the same and in the same way in my classes because I said that they must do as I said.



To avoid “bad behavior”, students had to work individually since I thought if they worked in groups, they would waste their time, so they would not complete the task. It is part of the heritage I received from most of the teacher in primary and secondary school.



I never allowed trying again to those students who failed a lesson or those shy who did not do presentations because of the fear they felt in front of their partners. I considered that the students have to face those fears and be confident, but I just "forced" them to do it without any consideration, so students have to do what they have to, despite the problems they experienced. I never rewarded students’ effort either. When looking back, I realized that I could have wrecked their lives.












Nowadays, the first thing that I try to do in the classroom is establishing rules to have a safe environment. An environment where students feel and know they are under care, and the teacher and classmates take care of themselves emotionally and physically.



Today, students in my classes can build confidence through collaborative partnership, they help each other and develop empathy and problem – solving experiences. They work in groups, so they do not experience troubles as when they worked alone, but also this kind of work develop skills for the 21st century: collaboration, critical thinking, creativity, and innovation. 


appear step by step. Students are aware of their learning process and reflect 





“Strict teacher punishes to inculcate discipline; a serious teacher just take revenge for his/her suffering”.     
                                                         -Eliyas Mohammad.











Comentarios